My grandmother was not the type of woman to pass down recipes. It isn’t because she didn’t want to. It’s more because she never really followed a recipe. Whenever any would ask how to make a particular dish, her instructions were basically “a pinch of this, and a dash of that until it looks good”. She made some amazing dishes, but my favorite (and, luckily the one she actually wrote down) was Coca-Cola Cake!
Nobody knows exactly where Coca Cola cake originated. Some say it was by a housewife looking for a new spin on a chocolate cake. Others say it was created by Coca Cola themselves as a clever way to market their drink in other ways. The only thing everyone can agree on is that it was invented in the South. The Coca Cola Company’s headquarters are, after all, located in Atlanta, Georgia.
Coca Cola cake it not made like a traditional cake. If you find it a bit lumpy at moments, that’s okay! Also, when you are finished with the batter, it may appear a bit runny. That’s okay too! While this cake may have some unusual steps, it’s tough to mess it up. That’s the best thing about this recipe…even the mistakes taste yummy!
A note before you get started, the frosting will be applied to the cake while both the cake and frosting are still warm!
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup Coca Cola
- 1 cup Butter (2 sticks)
- 1 1/2 cups Marshmallows (I use mini marshmallows)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
How to make the Batter
- Grease and flour 9×13 inch cake pan and set aside
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Stir to combine.
- In a saucepan, combine cocoa, Coca Cola, butter, and marshmallows and bring to a boil.
- Combine the boiled mixture with the flour/sugar mixture and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs, buttermilk, baking soda, and vanilla. Add to the mixture in the large bowl.
- Pour mix into the prepared pan and bake for about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cake will be ready when a toothpick comes out clean.
- 1/2 cup Butter (1 stick)
- 3 tablespoons Cocoa
- 6 tablespoons Coca Cola
- 1 box Confectioner’s Sugar
- Optional: 1/2 to 1 cup Nuts (use your preference for type of nuts and how much)
How to make the Frosting
- In a saucepan, bring butter, cocoa, and Coca Cola to a boil.
- Stir in the sugar and mix well.
- Remove from heat and stir in the nuts.
- Spread over the cake while both are still warm.
You’ll want the Frosting to set before you serve it. Once it does, dig in and enjoy!