I realized this morning that is has been way too long since I gave a weekend update. So, I thought I change that! Here’s an update of what I am currently working on.
Earlier this week, I received a message from a very distant cousin. My grandmother matched her on DNA and she was writing to find our connection. She gave me the surname of Boling/Bowling. I quickly did a search through my tree and only found one ancestor by that last name, Mary Molly Bowling.
Molly, as she was called, married my 8th Great Grandfather, Andrew Baker. I was hesitant to say this was the correct connection, however the places where her ancestor lived and mine did match. The only problem with proving this connection was that her connection was born in the mid 1800s where my only Bowling ancestor lived in the 1600s. That was quite the time gap!
So, what do I do now? How do I ever make this connection? My plan is to work back to come forward. To start, I expanded Molly’s family. I only had her parents and no siblings listed in my tree. If I was ever going to find the connection, I had to first find her siblings. While there is no guarantee that the connection doesn’t start further back, this was the best place for me to start.
Today, I am working on moving this line forward. This connection issue is just another reason why it is important to include siblings in your research. It is so easy to get wrapped up in only following your direct line, but many questions/connections can be answered when you expand your tree! I’ll keep everyone update on the details of when I finally figure all this out!